[Linux-aus] Changes to Censorship / Classification System

Don Knowles donakk at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 03:32:10 EST 2011

Hi,

I don't usually drop this sort of thing (quote / repost from SlashDot email)
in the mailing lists,
but I don't recall seeing this anywhere before, so I thought I'd spread it
around since there is exactly one day to go.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Few Contribute To Aussie Classification Review
|   from the this-way-to-the-egress dept.
|   posted by timothy on Tuesday July 12, @00:31 (Australia)
|   with 111 comments

https://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/12/0354227/Few-Contribute-To-Aussie-Classification-Review?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dopeywan.kenobi writes "The Australian Law Reform Commission are
conducting a review of the Australian Classification laws, the outcome of
which will influence Australian internet filtering and/or the long
awaited R18+ Video Game classification. Public submissions on the matter
have been accepted since 20th May 2011 and will close on the 15th July
2011. From the article : '[A]s yet [0]only 80 public submissions have
been made — 80 per cent of them from people who believe in government
intervention for the sake of child protection. Considering, the furious
debates within Australia's technology communities, does this reflect the
national balance?...'It's likely down to the media for failing to inform
the public on the matter.' Having read [1]the questionnaire, I can't help
but wonder if their convoluted phrasing is contributing to reports that
people are only partially completing the form without submitting." I
wonder how much of it, too, is that people don't want to be tarred as
favoring child pornography just because they're uncomfortable with
by-domain censorship.

Discuss this story at:

https://politics.slashdot.org/story/11/07/12/0354227/Few-Contribute-To-Aussie-Classification-Review?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email#commentlisting

Links:
    0. http://www.abc.net.au/technology/articles/2011/07/06/3262712.htm
    1. http://www.alrc.gov.au/content/classification-online-submission

--
Don Knowles, Rockhampton, Australia
a Founding Member of Central Queensland Linux User Group