[Linux-aus] Proposed Linux Australia Constitution Changes

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Jul 11 19:34:49 EST 2011

On Sun, 2011-07-10 at 21:13 -0700, James Turnbull wrote:
> Stewart Smith wrote:
> > On Sat, 9 Jul 2011 18:42:49 +1000, John Ferlito<johnf at inodes.org>  wrote:
> >> As most of you would be aware the council has been working through some
> >> constitutional changes over the last few months.
> >>
> >> The main reason we need to go through this process is that we want to change
> >> Linux Australia's financial year so that we have time to present an audit of
> >> our finances at our AGM in January as we are now legally required to. Changing
> >> our financial year requires a change to our constitution.
> >>
> >> Due to the changes which came into effect in July 2010, if we change our
> >> constitution then we need to bring it in line with the new
> >> legislation.
> >
> > Many thanks for this effort - I know it is tiresome and often thankless
> > work that is much needed. Many, many thanks.
> >

> Agreed.  I fully support this approach as the simplest path out of the
> current situation.

Firstly, I wanted to thank everybody involved in this process.  Adopting
the modal constitution with these amendments seems the most reasonable
way forward, and seems more prudent than trying to up-rev the current
text to the new requirements and in particular the fiscal year we
need.

The reason I like this approach is that is it avoids us having a very
'custom' constitution that should be legally vetted, and that may cause
more questions later.

I do wish I had reason to be in Sydney and so could attend the meeting,
but in the absence of that, I'm glad to give this my support.

Andrew Bartlett