[Linux-aus] My election speech

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Wed Jan 19 19:25:22 EST 2011

G'day, I'm Michael Carden.

I'm a middle aged geek who grew up with Z80s and 6502s. My first
computer was a Z80 'evaluation kit' that I programmed oh-so-carefully
via a Hex keypad. Then I bought an underground PCB and built an Apple
IIe, one chip at a time. Week by week, buying 7400 LS series ICs as I
could afford them on 1980s apprentice tech wages. Then hand wiring a
keyboard matrix (don't ask). Ahem.

Fast forward to 2011.

I work for the Australian government (at the National Archives) where
I have headed up a handful of open source development projects
(http://dpsp.sourceforge.net/) for several years. I work with
Standards Australia on the development of open standards. I represent
the National Archives at conferences around the world, sharing our
work and learning from others. I work with The Australian Government
Information Management Office (AGIMO) on Open Source Policy, Licensing
Risk and Open Formats via a couple of committees.

I have a Master's degree in IT from the ANU, an advanced Amateur Radio
qualification (VK1MC), many years of private and public sector Real
Life Experience and two lovely children who I am exposing to geekdom
(http://michaelcarden.net/blog/?p=216).

So please, vote early, vote often. And vote for me. :-)
https://www.linux.org.au/membership/

--
MC