[Linux-aus] Draft Donation Guidelines

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 21:22:59 EST 2011

Hi Silvia,

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 2:10 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de>wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Kathy,
> > Kudos .....great effort!

> organisation
> >>
> >> This part is not appropriate, since in this case it would be a grant,
> >> seeing as there is a request form the organisation. The difference
> >> really is that in this case, where it is a donation, the receving
> >> organisation did NOT put in a request, so we should not require
> >> anything from the receiving organisation. Instead, it is up to the
> >> council to put together due diligence material.
> >>

> > I politely disagree and think this is appropriate.
> > I think the wording here and after is intended to define how the
> > donation process is initiated.
> > Orgs solicit donations all the time by direct request and make efforts
> > to promote their cause and expected outcomes.
> > The difference IMHO between a grant and a donation is that
> > - a grant requires the recipient to report back on outcomes.
> > - there is no requirement for a donation recipient to do this...
>

> Interesting...
>
> I would have thought that while indeed organisations ask for donations
> all the time, it's not the organisation initiating the donation
> process, but somebody in LA that reacts to this donation request that
> is the initiator.

A very valid way to look at it.

> It's this LA member that should be required to
> prepare information for the due diligence process, not the receiving
> organisation. And indeed,there probably would be no need for a report
> on what has been achieved with the money, since the organisation would
> realistically do reporting about their general activities for the year
> anyway.
>
> I'm thinking about this in the same way as when somebody in a company
> wants to get their company to donate money to e.g. LA. That person
> would be required to make a case and get the material together
> (possibly by asking the donation recipient for help or making use of
> existing material form that organisation that helps the
> decision-making, but it wouldn't be a requirement on the
> organisation).

Also valid.
Perhaps we have miscommunicated a little.
My point was that a direct donation solicitation (to the Council as a whole)
from an individual or organisation should not be ruled out in the proposed
guideline.
Which is what I read in your response, but have most likely misunderstood.
:-)

Either way, the suggestion and commitment by the Council to discuss these
guidelines is a great first step.
I doubt there could be any bad outcome no matter what is decided.

Rgds
BW