[Linux-aus] Draft Donation Guidelines

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 10:11:29 EST 2011

Kathy,
Kudos .....great effort!

On Saturday, February 26, 2011, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de> wrote:

>> *What process is used?*
>>
>> The entity requesting the Donation will contact Council outlining the
>> request for Donation, the nature of the event, initiative or organisation
>> requesting the Donation and appropriate due diligence material, such as
>> proof of tax exempt charity status
>
> This part is not appropriate, since in this case it would be a grant,
> seeing as there is a request form the organisation. The difference
> really is that in this case, where it is a donation, the receving
> organisation did NOT put in a request, so we should not require
> anything from the receiving organisation. Instead, it is up to the
> council to put together due diligence material.

I politely disagree and think this is appropriate.
I think the wording here and after is intended to define how the
donation process is initiated.
Orgs solicit donations all the time by direct request and make efforts
to promote their cause and expected outcomes.
The difference IMHO between a grant and a donation is that
- a grant requires the recipient to report back on outcomes.
- there is no requirement for a donation recipient to do this...

I think Kathy has covered the latter well in the opening sentences.

Rgds
BW