[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Aus etc

Melissa Draper melissa at meldraweb.com
Sat Feb 26 18:29:02 EST 2011

On Sat, 2011-02-26 at 02:44 +0100, david at davidnewall.com wrote:
> Elspeth Thorne:
> > Perhaps almost every IT work environment I
> > have been in has been abnormal in its cultural rejection of women.
>
> How odd.  I've been in the industry for more than 30 years and never
> seen or heard of such things.  All of the women in the industry who I
> have spoken with on the topic of women in the industry -- it's a topic
> I do tend towards because of their relative scarcity -- have indicated
> that they are and always have been treated as one of the gang.

So let me get this straight. You've asked the ~5% of interested women
who are still in the industry if they've been repelled by the industry's
atmosphere towards women.

Does this not at all strike you that you're ignoring the ~95% who have
never been or who have left. You know, the ones who would actually have
the answer?

> > Perhaps ... my experience was unique.
>
> There's no way to say this without causing offense, which is
> regretable as offense is not my intent, so I shall just say it.
>
> That sounds plausible.  It fits with what I've heared face-to-face.

And your experience, David, does not fit with what I've experienced,
heard about face-to-face and witnessed with my own two eyes.