[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Feb 25 19:12:25 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 15:49, Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 15:32, Russell Stuart <
> russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 2011-02-25 at 15:43 +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>> > To my recollection, LA has donated $10K every year since 2007 to the
>> > LCA charity. There was no discussion on this - it was purely a
>> > committee decision.
>>
>  I'll have a dig and see if I can find some of the documentation on the
> various ones.

So, 2006. I'll quote my email to the committee list after the conference
dinner (Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 13:06:37 +1300)

  A (signed) John Lions book was aucitioned off at LCA, for the purposes
  of founding a chair at UNSW in his honour; Jon, Pia, Stewart and myself
  had a little chat at the dinner, and decided that it would be a good idea
  to have LA provide matching funds for the cause, up to $10k -- which is
  what the auction turned out to reach. Those funds combined will then be
  matched by Usenix (for $40k in total, plus some change).

http://lists.ethernal.org/pipermail/lca06-announce/2006-January/000002.html

  We'll have a formal vote on it RSN, probably by proxy vote over email;
  I just wanted to make sure y'all found out about it ASAP given we've
  already essentially committed ourselves without everyone being there.

The lca06-announce link is sadly now broken.

Technically, that wasn't the actual charity for the conference that year --
that charity was  www.youthline.co.nz, which was where proceeds from the
raffle for the t-shirt went to (as opposed to the auction of the Lions
book).

I don't remember anything much about the 2007 charity (which was a penguin
habitat in Sydney, I think?), and can't seem to find anything written down
about it either. I don't see any evidence it had $10k from Linux Australia.

For 2008, there wasn't a big auction at the dinner, and there was a bunch of
confusion about what was going on with the donations. Donna had been under
the impression there was going to be $10k from Linux Australia, but that
hadn't actually been clear to everyone, and it was still up in the air in
July 2009 [0]. Eventually things got more or less settled, and LA made a
$10k donation in late 2009.

[0] http://wiki.linux.org.au/Ctte/MeetingNotes20090723

For 2009, the charity was the Tassie Devil / shave Bdale thing; that
included a consortium bid and a lot of donations, and $10k in matching funds
from LA. cf [1]

[1]
http://www.itwire.com/opinion-and-analysis/open-sauce/22814-lca2009-of-beards-and-saving-the-tasmanian-devil

For 2010, the charity was the Life Flight rescue helicopter. I thought this
had a $10k LA contribution, but I'm not sure, and presume it would have gone
via the NZ bank accounts too.

For 2011, my recollection from the dinner was LA was doing $5k for the flood
appeal, and $5k for the charity that was planned prior to the flood, the
Glenleighden School at Fig Tree Pocket in Brisbane.

Cheers,
aj

--
Anthony Towns <aj at erisian.com.au>