[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Feb 25 18:02:44 EST 2011

On Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Paul Shirren <shirro at shirro.com> wrote:
> On 25/02/11 4:36 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
> > Speaking of which, I think it would be good to have the auction at next
> > year's LCA benefit TAI.
>
> TAI might have deeper pockets contributing by then. Or more to the point
> if they aren't getting them they probably don't have a sustainable
> non-profit.

It will of course raise awareness of what they are doing.

> And it really should be up to the LCA committee shouldn't it?

Sure, and the LCA committee read this list and surely consider suggestions
that go by.

> It is a bit of a tradition that charities are local like Life Flight,
> saving the Tassie devils and QLD flood relief.

http://jon.oxer.com.au/blog/id/53
http://www.sidsandkids.org/

In 2005 the auction was for SIDS and Kids, which appears to be based in Eltham
Victoria (from whois) and has offices all around Australia.

http://lists.linux.org.au/archives/linux-aus/2006-September/msg00340.html

In 2006 the conference was in Dunedin and the auction sponsored the John Lions
chair at UNSW.

While in 2005 and 2006 LA didn't provide money (AFAIK), it does seem that
there isn't such a tradition of using local charities.  Not that such a
tradition would be binding if it did exist.