[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Fri Feb 25 15:43:07 EST 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 13:30, Silvia Pfeiffer <silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de>wrote:

> People, how often do we have to repeat ourselves: it is not a grant
> application - it is a donation!

For the record, I don't think donations like this as distinct from grants
are a good idea. The LCA charity auctions are a nice way for the attendees
to show support for the locality they're visiting; and the matching funds
that LA has added to the pool the past six years (that effectively come from
LCA's attendance fees and sponsorship anyway) doesn't really go much beyond
that. That is, they're a way of saying "thankyou", partly to the conference
organisers (who choose the chairty), partly to the community -- LA's goals
(promotion of Linux and/or FOSS in Australia) have already been met in that
case, by the fact of the conference running.

For other things that aren't already intimately tied to existing projects
that have their own budget anyway, the grants process is already fine:
someone comes up with an idea of what to do with LA's money (in this case,
apparently it was John), they post about the plan in public, the council
reflects on the idea and the response from community members, and makes a
decision.

Cheers,
aj

--