[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Aus etc

Jon 'maddog' Hall maddog at li.org
Thu Feb 24 12:36:00 EST 2011

When I was in Malaysia about six or seven years ago, the number of women
in IT was about 70%.

When I inquired about it, apparently the young men would go off to work
at a much younger age doing physical labor, so a lot did not go to
college and did not learn how to program computers.  Most women could
not get jobs without a college education, so a lot of them studied
computers in college.

Ergo you had a greater percentage of college-educated women going into
IT then you had men going into IT.

The government had a program to try to get the number of people in IT to
be 50-50 with respect to gender.

These days things might be different.

md