[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Aus etc

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Thu Feb 24 13:22:26 EST 2011

Hi David,

On 24/02/2011, at 12:43 PM, david at davidnewall.com wrote:

> David Lloyd:
> >
> > If you can't understand English then I could probably have that
> > translated into some other languages if you wish.
>
> Them saying it does not make it so. Even being women adds no authority unless they also say that they were disadvantaged because they are women; which they're not.

Realistically, if I recall correctly, the money has been promised if not yet transferred and I wish someone would actually say what they would like Linux Australia to actually do about this. Actions speak louder than words and at the moment the many words don't seem to be prompting any kind of action no matter what one thinks of the ADA initiative.

It seems that we have:

 - some people saying that women have a problem in Open Source
 - some people saying that we need to investigate this more
 - a possibility that the process might have been more transparent or 'better'

But noone's actually saying anyone should actually do anything. I tender therefore the real actions are:

 - some would prefer the money or support (or both) not to be given to the Ada initiative
 - some would prefer the money or support (or both) to be given to the Ada initiative
 - I doubt anyone would have a problem with transparent processes [although I shouldn't assume that should I :P]

The big elephant in the room, as far as I can tell, is that there are some who are actually saying the support should not be given and they are at least justifying their case (whether one agrees with that justification is a separate issue).

So, really the issues here are simple:

 - to provide this support, or not to provide this support

It's that simple.

DSL