[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Tue Feb 22 13:39:12 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-02-21 at 16:11 +1000, Russell Stuart wrote:
> I want to know the money isn't going to be
> wasted on just good intentions.  Usually this is easy, because the
> organisations that come to my door have a track history.  For example,
> when I give to the Salvo's I know from past history where the money
> will be spent.  The Ada Initiative has no track record.

The Ada Initiative is just starting, and I understand the Linux
Australia donation is intended to help them establish the legal entity.

Their website says
"We will be incorporating as a 501(c)(3) non-profit."

That's a US based tax-exempt entity. Most of the large organisations
from whom they are hoping to win support are based there, so I believe
that was one of the driving factors - also that is where Valerie Aurora
is based.

It is much harder to get deductible status in Australia for this kind of
project, in fact it may not even be possible as our rules are quite
restrictive.

However, Valerie Aurora and Mary Gardiner each have a proven track
record. They have both spent a considerable amount of time addressing
issues around the paucity of women in open source in real and practical
ways.

The core intent is to put Mary and Val's expertise and experience into
action full time to try and make a real difference.  They need to start
somewhere. I applaud the LA committee for having the vision to act a
little like an Angel Investor, have a little faith, and give them their
first stepping stone.

--
Donna Benjamin - Executive Director
Creative Contingencies - http://cc.com.au