[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Mon Feb 21 20:04:03 EST 2011

On Mon, 21 Feb 2011, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just read this article:
> http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/biz-enterprise/410922-news-ada-initiat
> ive-supports-women-in-free-software

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3923936/Ada-Initiative-
Supports-Women-in-Open-Source-Counters-Sexism.htm

The real article seems to be at the above URL, the other links you gave are
just sites that publish summaries of articles for Adsense.

> "The current plan is to find funding for two years' full time work for at
> least Aurora and Gardiner. Others may be hired as funding permits, or for
> special projects.
>
> "We're hoping to rely on corporate donations, probably with some early
> funds raised through individual donations" says Gardiner. The Ada
> Initiative has already announced its first sponsor, Linux Australia, and
> its founders hope to announce other sponsors shortly."

This is interesting and useful information that hasn't been supplied in the
previous discussion.

Also of note is the fact that Val quit her full-time job to work on this.

For reference I vote in favor of the $5000 donation.  I wouldn't object to
having more money donated.