[Linux-aus] Some Anti-Harassment Policies considered harmful

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 11:14:50 EST 2011

Hi David,

I think we're talking at cross-purposes here.

Legally-specific language is perfectly fine when
writing an Act of law or framing an application,
appeal etc to a court (even then clarity if
preferred to obfuscation and academic nitpicking
which can often be seen as legalese by many).

One of the things about the law (and IANAL) that I
do like is that you can trace back meanings and be
quite specific about what you intend your written
words to mean. You can usually (though not always)
ensure that what you write is what you mean and
that it is understood by others who have studied
in the same area. It can be quite good fun at times.

However, Plain English is required for policies
and is seen as a requirement in governments around
Australia (and in other countries such as the UK).

http://www.dest.gov.au/archive/publications/plain_en/sofar.htm

http://www.premcab.sa.gov.au/grc/plain_english_guide.pdf

http://www.lawfoundation.net.au/ljf/app/&id=5E88553B364FF742CA25714C000696CA

Clear English is also becoming a requirement
within the law and unnecessary pontification (some
is required just for the humour I reckon) is
frequently frowned upon - unless it comes from the
magistrate - and then you have to wait until the
appeal :)

Regards,

Patrick

--
www.techfriend.com.au
Home computer software training and hardware

www.mercuryvideos.com.au
Stylishly edited DVDs of your photos and videos