[Linux-aus] The Ada Initiative - Should Linux Australia support it?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Mon Feb 21 09:46:16 EST 2011

Hi all,

The council has decided to support the Ada Initiative with a donation of
$5000.00  (http://adainitiative.org)

First let me say I reckon that's fantastic - but then I wholeheartedly
support the aims and ambition of the Ada Initiative and it's founders
Mary Gardiner and Valerie Aurora. I have provided support by way of a
little graphic design, and I have agreed to sit on the advisory board.

However, I also support AJ's suggestion that the LA council should
operate a little more transparently when it comes to dispersal of funds,
and that the membership might wish to scrutinise the decision.

So - is it appropriate for LA to support the initiative?

If yes, then given the project is calling for cash, that support would
best be delivered in the form of a donation. What level of donation
would be appropriate?

Is $5,000 too much or too little?

If no, why not?

cheers