[Linux-aus] Designated Photography Space at LCA?

Michael Davies michael at the-davies.net
Sun Feb 20 16:09:08 EST 2011

On 20/02/2011, at 2:55 PM, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at lemis.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, 20 February 2011 at 12:08:39 +1000, Don Knowles wrote:
>>
>> In view of the heat in the discussion, why not plan a designated
>> space or place set aside for those who wish to photograph people at
>> the conference, and those who don't mind being photographed.
>
> What a horrible idea.  I'm sure you mean well, but this is really
> going over the top.
>
>> That gives reluctant photographees the opportunity to move away and
>> not be included, and photographers need only ask if someone appears
>> to be "backing into" the designated space unconsciously. After all,
>> the back half of most people will only spoil a photo :-)
>
> I prefer to take unposed photos.  I can accept that some people don't
> want photos taken of them, and I wouldn't oppose an area where you
> *can't* take photos, though I think it's a little silly.  If people
> don't want to have photos taken of them, then maybe they shouldn't be
> appearing in public.
>
> This seems to be a particularly liberal interpretation of the term
> "harassment".  I'm having a hard time with the issue in the first
> place.  I'm certainly not in favour of harassment, but as I wrote a
> few weeks ago (http://www.lemis.com/grog/diary-feb2011.php), there are
> laws against it.  There are also laws relating to what photographers
> may and may not do.  Conference organizers should help enforce them.
> The conference web site should make this clear.  But that's really
> all.  In this particular instance I'd be inclined to say "the
> conference is a public place, and laws regarding photography in public
> places must be respected".  No more.

Agreed.  Most people with a camera at a conference are they to capture the event (typically sharing those photos online as a community service), not to do creepy things.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, while at the same time strongly supporting and encouraging a harassment free environment.

Michael...