[Linux-aus] linux.conf.au 2013 expression of interest: Canberra

Michael Still mikal at stillhq.com
Tue Feb 8 13:50:54 EST 2011

On 2/8/11 9:29 AM, John Ferlito wrote:

> At this stage the council is looking for expressions of interest from members
> of the community. The aim is to get the idea out there that you personally want
> to host LCA in your local town or city.  Start talking ideas through with
> friends, family and even the community at large.

A group of enthusiastic Canberrans is intending to bid to hold
linux.conf.au in January 2013 and has been blogging about it in various
places, including Planet Linux Australia. Canberra's centenary falls in
2013, making it a particularly significant year for the city. We feel
that the free and open source software community would benefit from
joining in with the rest of Australia in commemorating this event, and
the perfect way to do this is to have linux.conf.au 2013 held in our
capital city.

Canberra last hosted the conference in 2005, receiving universal
acclaim. The new Canberra bid committee currently consists of sixteen
people, many of whom were involved in the 2005 effort. Seven of the
current team have previously served on linux.conf.au core committees,
three have served on Linux Australia's national committee, and at least
two have run their local Linux Users Group. We have also approached our
local convention bureau, who are assisting us with preparing our bid.
Several groups around Canberra have also pledged their support for the
conference.

We have a strong group of dedicated and knowledgeable individuals able
to create a spectacular conference, and we would be delighted to host
linux.conf.au in the nation's capital in 2013.

For more information about our bid, please subscribe to our mailing list
at http://lists.clug.org.au/listinfo/canberra2013 .

Cheers,
Mikal