[Linux-aus] Council Meeting Minutes - 2011-02-03

John Ferlito johnf at inodes.org
Fri Feb 4 10:00:06 EST 2011

On Thu, Feb 03, 2011 at 09:34:07PM +1100, Donna Benjamin wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-02-03 at 21:10 +1100, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> > Event video, now and in the future
> > Video and audio must be made available via the LA mirror as soon as
> > possible. Not elsewhere first.
>
> Ummm... Yeah so I would think getting the video out ASAP seems more
> important than exactly where it's initially hosted?
>
> I thought the AV streaming at LCA this year was amazing, and subsequent
> posting to blip.tv made it very accessible to people who couldn't make
> it to the conference.
>
> Can someone please explain the rationale behind this statement?

Most of the reasons mentioned by others are correct. There was some
confusion this year around the videos and where they were going to
live and complaints that they weren't accessible in the usual place.

We wanted to make it clear that while uploading to Blip or similar is
fine, videos should also be uploaded at the same time to
mirror.linux.org.au. I believe that the whole uploaded process is
fairly automated these days, so adding an extra line to rsync/ssh to
our mirror at the same time should be fairly simple.

The AV team has done an amazing job this year. The quality of the
videos that they have uploaded has been wonderful. From my
understanding the rest of the videos should go up as soon as the
server they live on has an IP address again :)

Cheers,
John

--
John