[Linux-aus] Brisbane installFest

Jared Norris jrnorris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 22:11:19 EST 2011

Good morning/afternoon/evening all,

It is my great pleasure to announce to everyone that on Saturday the
7th of January there is going to be a Ubuntu Installation Festival in
the Brisbane CBD [1]. This event is designed to give the extra little
prod to anyone interested in installing Linux but just doesn't have
the confidence to take the step without some real world assistance. I
realise most of the people on these lists would be pretty competent in
this area but I'm sure you all know plenty of friends/family/coworkers
who might fall into this category. Instead of you personally having to
sit down and walk them through why not let us help you out.

Event Details:
When: 10:00AM - 3:00PM Saturday the 7th of January 2012
Where: Ground floor meeting rooms of the Brisbane City Council,
Brisbane Square Library (266 George Street, Brisbane CBD).
What to bring: A laptop/netbook that you have previously backed up and
are willing to have one of the Ubuntu flavours installed on (or beside
another installation if you have the hard drive space to dual boot).
Further Contact: jarednorris at ubuntu.com

There will be a team of volunteers on hand to provide assistance with
installation and demonstrations. Throughout the day we will also be
holding lightning talks to introduce new users to Ubuntu Linux. Light
refreshments will be provided and everyone installing Ubuntu on the
day will go into the draw for a Ubuntu prize pack.

How you can help:
We are still looking to get as much widespread promotion as possible.
One of the biggest challenges for this sort of event is getting the
public in the door. If you can please help by either printing out one
of the event flyers [2] & [3] and posting them around your workplace,
cafe, pub or other public place and/or spreading the event by word of
mouth that would be greatly appreciated.

If you're interested in getting involved on the day please see the
wiki page [4] for ideas on how to get involved. While this event is
being run by the Ubuntu-AU LoCo we welcome anyone to join in and help
out, we don't bite. If you have any further feedback or suggestions
please do not hesitate to contact myself or the team.

[1] http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/ubuntu-au/1410/detail/
[2] http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/poster/ubuntu-au-installfest
[3] http://spreadubuntu.org/en/material/poster/loco-installfest-poster
[4] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AustralianTeam/Projects/LocalMeetings/BrisbaneInstallfest