[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Fri Dec 2 14:10:00 EST 2011

On Wed, 2011-11-30 at 18:32 +1030, Paul Shirren wrote:
> If the Ada initiative adopts the LA CoC for an event they have no need
> to worry about unwanted male attention as it is prohibited.

This argument keeps getting repeated, and it is getting under my skin.
Does this mean because some drugs are prohibited, I no longer need worry
about my kids accessing drugs?  Does it mean that even though LCA 2007
had strong T&C's, there was no one need for anybody to worry about being
harassed?

> If they want a single sex event they can't do it under an LA banner.

If PyCon, Drupal Downunder and similar events aren't "under an LA
banner", then I guess I don't have a problem.

As for the possibility of Ada Initiative being hosting events biased
toward women, this is happening.  As you can probably gather, if this
ends up bring more people into Open Source movement then I am strongly
in favour of it.  LA should assist in any way it can, and should not be
putting CoC's or anything else in place that would might discourage such
assistance in the future:

Subject:  [Linux-aus] AdaCamp Melbourne (Jan 14): apply today!