[Linux-aus] AdaCamp Melbourne (Jan 14): apply today!

Mary Gardiner mary at adainitiative.org
Fri Dec 2 12:48:49 EST 2011

Dear Linux Australia,

The Ada Initiative received a great deal of attendee interest and sponsor
support in our first AdaCamp and thus AdaCamp Melbourne is on! Some travel
support is also available.  We have now opened full appliations for this event
at and invite you to apply.

If you know of anyone else who you think would be interested in attending
AdaCamp Melbourne, please share this email with them!

== About AdaCamp ==

One of the major goals of the Ada Initiative is to organize a series of
meetings of women in open technology and culture around the world, which we’re
calling AdaCamp.

** Our very first AdaCamp will be held in Melbourne Australia on Saturday
January 14 2012. **

== Apply now ==

AdaCamp attendance will be by invitation: if you would like us to consider you,
please apply. Applications are now open: apply to attend AdaCamp.

Applications are open at
http://adainitiative.org/what-we-do/events/adacamp-mel-2012/

** Applications will close Wednesday December 14 2011. **

Some travel grants of up to AUD 500 are available.

== More information ==

AdaCamp will have an exciting, inspiring mix of people from various parts of
the “open technology and culture” world, each of whom brings something special
to the event. We’re looking for people who:

 - work in open technology and culture: any field involving
   open/grassroots/community participation and sharing the results of your work
   for free (see our list of open technology and culture fields for examples)
 - can share information about women’s experiences in that field, including
   talking about women’s achievements and the challenges they face
 - want to work together and share strategies to support and promote women in
   the field
 - share the Ada Initiative’s feminist approach to supporting and promoting
   women in open technology and culture
 - are young and old; students, professionals and hobbyists; from a diverse
   range of backgrounds; and reflect the breadth of the “open technology and
   culture” field.

AdaCamp is open to people of all genders. However, since AdaCamp and the Ada
Initiative exist to support and promote women in open technology and culture,
prospective attendees who are not themselves women will need to demonstrate a
very high level of prior engagement and experience with the issues faced by
women in those fields in order to be invited.

Find out more about AdaCamp at the event webpage.
http://adainitiative.org/what-we-do/events/adacamp-mel-2012/

== About the Ada Initiative ==

The Ada Initiative is a non-profit organization dedicated to increasing
participation of women in open technology and culture, which includes open
source software, Wikipedia and other open data, and open social media.
Co-founders Mary Gardiner and Valerie Aurora each have ten years of experience
in open source software, open culture communities, and women in computing
activism. For more on our mission and strategy, see what we do:
http://adainitiative.org/what-we-do/

== Contact us ==

If you have further questions, please review the event webpage or email
adacamp at adainitiative.org.