[Linux-aus] Linux on Git

Pomke Nohkan pomke at pomke.com
Fri Aug 5 08:05:39 EST 2011

My initial thought on reading this (other than that making jokes about
killing people is fairly crass), is that SVN and CVS pre-date git by 5 and
15 years respectively. When CVS and later SVN came out they were both great
advances in revision control, as was git when it arrived on the scene.

While I am an avid git fan, I still use subversion on one particular project
where one of the developers is entirely windows based and doesn't want to
install the entire cygwin stack just to check out some sourcecode. Given the
windows paradigm that everything should be achievable via a GUI,  subversion
has been fully integrated natively with Explorer for a long time now
(tortoiseSVN), something git (afaik) still cannot do*.  Would I be happy to
see the end of  subversion? sure, when git is as usable for my friend on
windows as it is for me on Linux.

I think it's a bit rich given the above, for the -author- of git to have a
go at archaic RCSs on usability when in some instances (cross
platform-edness) they are still arguably more usable.

* I have not checked again recently.

On Thu, Aug 4, 2011 at 9:51 PM, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> git
>
> We will hereby start scouring the net for people who say git is hard to
> understand and use, and just kill them. They clearly are just polluting
> the gene pool.
>
> http://www.spinics.net/lists/git/msg01343.html
>
> It seems Linus makes funny assertions about people who cannot use git.
>
> DSL

     _.--.
    .'   ` '   Pomke Nohkan
     ``'.  .'     .c-..  Spotted Skunk