[Linux-aus] Australian copyright law on computer programs and FLOSS licensing?

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Mon Aug 1 13:30:08 EST 2011

Indeed, but Paul is addressing the case of a contract.
And my understanding is the similar to his; even work
done in your own time belongs to your employer.

Paul:
    Similarly, when i investigated the situation of employees producing
    software, the answer i found was that by default the copyright resided
    with the employer, even if the employee used his or her own time and
    resources.  I asked a couple of previous employers to sign a specific
    waiver because of this.

Now, I also am not a lawyer but I think is the default.  The exceptions might
be if you not explicitly employed as a software developer (say an admin)
or you are actually considered an independent contractor, not an employee.
(And the 80/20 rule is one but not the only way to be considered such)

Nevertheless it's always wise to make it clear in the contract.

Matt