[Linux-aus] Linux Australia values statement

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Wed Apr 6 15:00:49 EST 2011

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011 13:46:38 +1000, Mary Gardiner <mary at puzzling.org> wrote:
> and events where they are of benefit to the Australian community." (Again, open
> to debate, but I at least suspect that LA would be less likely to award LCA to
> an NZ city if it wasn't clear that so many Australians are happy to
> attend.)

Back when an LCA in NZ was first being talked about, this was one of our
concerns. At that time, flights from the east coast of .au to NZ were
about the same price (sometimes even cheaper) than to Perth. Our logic
was that if people were happy to travel to Perth, then this should
pretty readily transfer to being willing to travel to NZ.

So I view it as a bit of a balance between things - one good reason why
we elect a council to take care of thinking about it :)

--
Stewart Smith