[Linux-aus] OLPC Australia technical mailing list

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Thu Sep 30 16:34:08 EST 2010

On 30 September 2010 13:57, Mike Carden <mike.carden at gmail.com> wrote:
> It has been my observation that if someone has a genuine desire to
> develop on the XO[1], a machine can be found for the purpose. I don't
> recall how many were given away at LCA in Melbourne, but I'll wager
> that many of those are gathering dust. A request to the Linux Aus list
> may bear fruit. I do know that CLUG has one bouncing around that
> anyone with an interest in the platform can ask to play with, though
> for that one it helps if you're in Canberra.
>
> --
> MC
> [1] Well, more likely develop on a VM and test on an XO.

Most kinds of development do not require an XO at all. Sugar
activities, for example, are written in Python for an environment
which is GNOME-based. VMs take care of most issues.

We are now deploying the latest XO-1.5 models instead of the older
XO-1s (in fact, we were the first country to do so). If you have
access to an XO-1, you can install the officially-supported Fedora 11
based build, which apart from some hardware specific bits is the same
as what you'll find on the XO-1.5s.

I really want to make as much development as possible independent of
the XO hardware, so any assistance to build this (guides, SDKs, etc)
would be welcomed.

--
Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux