[Linux-aus] Do you support auda's belief that conf.au should be closed down?

Donna Benjamin donna at cc.com.au
Wed May 19 08:21:43 EST 2010

Thanks for the reminder Peter!

I urge all of you to respond to the survey and make a case for the
retention of conf.au and changing the temporary restriction policy.

Here's what I submitted...

the survey asks specifically...

"Do you agree with auDA that .conf.au should be closed down"

I answered No.

Then wrote this:

linux.conf.au has been using .conf.au since 2001.  The uncertainty
around it has been incredibly frustrating. In the past, members of the
council were told that in the event of conf.au being closed down the
domain would be grandfathered.

One of the chief reasons conf.au has not been popular is the awkward
policy around it's use. Conference websites are not temporary. In the
lead up to the conference they provide a point of focus for call for
papers, paper review, marketing and delegate information. Online
registration is often conducted via the website. During the conference
delegates access the conference program online. After the conference the
website serves as repository of knowledge generated for and during the
event, as well as a location for ongoing dialogue.  But with the domain
being shut down 3 months after the event - the role of archive is not
possible. Forcing linux.conf.au teams to come up with less satisfactory
work a-rounds.

As a conference organiser, I believe there is a market for conf.au - I'm
aware of conferences using .info, .org and .net etc for local
conferences, because the Australian domain space is too restrictive. I
understand auDA is considering event.au as an alternative - which may
fill this need, but that doesn't solve the issue for Linux Australia and
linux.conf.au - which must be addressed.

The Australian Linux community has been in limbo on this issue for too
long. I urge auDA to resolve it by re-opening conf.au, and allowing
Linux Australia to renew the domain name on an ongoing basis through
existing registrars, or for conf.au to be grandfathered, so they can
freely use the brand they have developed over the last decade, without
the time limited restriction.