[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Fri May 7 16:20:50 EST 2010

On Thu, 06 May 2010 18:23:45 +0930, David Newall <davidn at davidnewall.com> wrote:
> James Polley wrote:
> > Rather than random speculation, let's take a look at
> > http://linux.org.au/org/constitution.phtml
>
> Good idea.  Section 14(1) prescribes members of the council to comprise
> office bearers plus three ordinary members.  Section 14(4) provides for
> the council to appoint a replacement for a casual vacancy in the
> membership of the council.  This does not seem to permit the council to
> appoint a replacement for a casual vacancy in office bearers.

I'd disagree with that reading. Rather that "membership of the council"
encompasses all positions on it, both the ordinary members and the
office bearers.

(while there could be suggestions to have a constitutional amendment to
clarify this section, it's my opinion that such time spent on
constitutional amendments is the best way to waste a whole lot of time
and effort that could otherwise be spent actually reaching the goals of
the organisation)

Of course, if people *really* disagree with how the council proceeds in
this matter they are always free (under 25(2)) to get a total of 20
people to submit a request in writing for a SGM on the matter.
--
Stewart Smith