[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Fri May 7 16:10:18 EST 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010 18:15:55 +1000, John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:
> Hi James,
>
> On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 11:34:50AM +1000, James Polley wrote:
> > However: Section 14(1) states that "the council is to consist of (A) the
> > office bearers of the association; and (b) 3 ordinary members". I'm
> > therefore confused about which position is intended for Josh Hesketh - he
> > can't be brought on as an ordinary member, as those positions are full. If
> > John Ferlito is going to "continue to manage the Treasurer role" it doesn't
> > seem to make sense to give Josh that title.
> >
> > Perhaps what is intended is that Josh will become the Treasurer, and fulfill
> > that role with assistance from other committee members, largely John?
>
> Thanks for catching that, I overlooked it in my reading of the
> constitution. We'll have a quick chat about how to proceed on the
> council list and get back to the list.

This is one of the deficiencies brought up a few years ago (and didn't
get up as a modification at an AGM... although probably would have if you
just had people who'd ever been on the committee/council voting :)

You can get around this in a few ways pretty easily... pick somebody to
have the title, reshuffle positions and have casual vacancies that
way... or however.

In the past we've had various roles be in practice rather fluid between
members of the council and this as worked to the benefit of the
organisation.

This could be a great opportunity to get things quickly set up to have
the most automated treasury yet though :)

--
Stewart Smith