[Linux-aus] Yubikeys

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri May 7 14:00:26 EST 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> In practice, running a
> server is not core LA business and will not be 100% reliable so is not a
> good idea.

As a general rule I agree.

However if LA is going to provide services to people that need to be
authenticated (such as for example editing web data on the CMS) then it might
make sense providing a Yubikey authentication for the purpose of running that.
If that was done then it would make sense to offer the Yubikey authentication
service to others, simply because there is no way of securely having multiple
Yubikey authentication servers for one key and issues of cost and space on
keyrings (*) dictate that people will want to use one key for multiple things.

But running generic Internet services for members isn't the purpose of LA.

Anyone on this list could run their own Yubikey authentication server and
allow others to use it.  I think it would be a reasonable use of this list for
people to volunteer to provide such IT services to other members.

(*) I'm talking about a metal ring that has physical keys hanging from it.

russell at coker.com.au
http://etbe.coker.com.au/          My Main Blog
http://doc.coker.com.au/           My Documents Blog