[Linux-aus] Presidential Succession

James Polley linuxaus at zhasper.com
Thu May 6 11:34:50 EST 2010

On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 10:48 AM, Paul Shirren <shirro at shirro.com> wrote:
> On 6/05/10 3:11 AM, Mark Phillips wrote:
>> There were three nominations for president at the last election.
>> Was the person who came second considered?
>
> If Obama is unable to fulfil his duty you get Biden not McCain. If Rudd
> can't cope you get Gillard not Howard.
>
> I guess it comes down to what is in the constitution. I would guess that
> VP would usually be the replacement. I am sure the committee has read
> the rules and is constrained by them.

Rather than random speculation, let's take a look at
http://linux.org.au/org/constitution.phtml

Section 14 (4):

(4) In the event of a casual vacancy occurring in the membership of the
council, the council may appoint a member of the association to fill the
vacancy and the member so appointed is to hold office, subject to these
rules, until the conclusion of the annual general meeting next following the
date of the appointment.

Section 18 defines "casual vacancy", which includes:

(d) resigns office by notice in writing given to the secretary

However: Section 14(1) states that "the council is to consist of (A) the
office bearers of the association; and (b) 3 ordinary members". I'm
therefore confused about which position is intended for Josh Hesketh - he
can't be brought on as an ordinary member, as those positions are full. If
John Ferlito is going to "continue to manage the Treasurer role" it doesn't
seem to make sense to give Josh that title.

Perhaps what is intended is that Josh will become the Treasurer, and fulfill
that role with assistance from other committee members, largely John?