[Linux-aus] Brendan's research grant?

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 10:20:37 EST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 4:23 PM, Melissa Draper <melissa at meldraweb.com> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Is it possible to know why we are finding out via Sam Varghese [0]
> (rather than transparently via Linux Australia's communication channels)

Yes. It's probably a mistake and I accept responsibility for it.
Here's what happened.

The council discussed Brendan's proposals back in January as one of
the pieces of unfinished business handed on by the previous council.
We couldn't reach a decision on the merit of the proposals so we
decided to seek further external advice.

At this week's meeting we discussed the issue again in the light of
that advice and decided that if Brendan would agree to make his report
completely public, we would proceed with the first of his proposals
and evaluate the possibility of the second in light of the output of
the first.

I then contacted Brendan and he agreed to proceed on that basis.
Coincidentally he had blogged on the issue the night before and in the
wake of our exchange decided to update his blog post to reflect our
decision to proceed. From the blog post, Sam Varghese picked up the
story.

Meanwhile, I emailed the committee list to say that Brendan had agreed
and we were going ahead. What I possibly should have done at that
point was to email the member list to say the same thing. Being
inexperienced in the usual way that these things might be done, I
failed to do so.

For that, I apologise.

--
MC