[Linux-aus] Fwd: [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/03

Brett brettmahar at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 09:39:14 EST 2010

>> This isn't about the teachers. It's about >>the students. If a student
>> can get something for free to play with >>on his computer, he/she may
>> well be curious. This is what we can >>build upon. We need to somehow
>> manage the fear of the parents that this >>may be something bad for the
>> kid or the computer, but that's about how >>to write a good flyer. One
>> could, for example, mention that it is >>the system most in use at
>> universities in IT research and that it >>is good for inquisitive minds.

Mentioning that the 'One laptop per child' run a version of Linux might be helpful, as presumably some of the students and teachers have heard about that. They seem to be doing a good job getting those laptops out to remote communities, by the way.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=104569102456467337022.000459a5ebdf2f82145fb&cd=20&geocode=Fa-ylv4d8KX6Bw&ie=UTF8&ll=-24.607069,137.988281&spn=28.884665,53.525391&z=5