[Linux-aus] Fwd: [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/03

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Wed Feb 17 11:46:56 EST 2010

Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> This isn't about the teachers. It's about the students. If a student
> can get something for free to play with on his computer, he/she may
> well be curious. This is what we can build upon. We need to somehow
> manage the fear of the parents that this may be something bad for the
> kid or the computer, but that's about how to write a good flyer. One
> could, for example, mention that it is the system most in use at
> universities in IT research and that it is good for inquisitive minds.

I think the students who are most likely to do this, are already doing
it.  Those who are not brave enough or lack confidence will not be
persuaded without knowledge of peer support group being available or
having access to a supportive resource at school or elsewhere.

> I'm sure we'd get some success and one student can start a whole new
> movement if there is success. I guess it would be very important for
> that one student to know where to find support if he/she needs to.

absolutely correct.  The software is already findable on the web,
support is less obvious.

> Maybe we could set up a facebook account or something where they can
> come in and then be led to the right place if needed. Just thinking
> out loud here.

and that's the trick isnt it? Viral marketing 101 is not something I
have engaged in - yet ;)

cheers
brenda
--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS, PCP, HLM, ACCE Associate
Vice President Australian Computer Society (ACS)