[Linux-aus] [LACTTE] Notes for Council Meeting 2010/02/03

Lindsay Holmwood auxesis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 13:24:42 EST 2010

On 14 February 2010 19:49, Steve Walsh <steve at nerdvana.org.au> wrote:

> I think we're comparing chalk and cheese here.
>
> The Sydney Education expo [0] is run for Students[1] and their Parents
> [2] to look at various schools and afterschool activities, and also
> happens to target teachers [3], with stands for Chickadee to get
> cafeterias to pick their Chiko rolls et al, sports wear companies
> trolling for business, etc.
>
> The Victorian Education Show [4]("*Showcasing the latest products,
> resources and services for schools and featuring an extensive
> professional development program") * is for Teachers, and caters
> directly to them with Gym equipment suppliers, textbooks sellers,
> Schoolbag makers, etc[1], as well as a short PD program[6].  Having
> worked on a stand for both (Sydney Ed Expo in 2006, and Victorian
> Education Expo in 2007),
>
> I think that of the two, if we are going to "Endeavour to engage with
> and expand the community through events and out-reach programs", then
> the first one is the one we should be aiming at.

+1 to Steve's comments.

I've worked at two of the Sydney Expos and found them to be
exceptionally worthwhile from an advocacy standpoint. There are a
*lot* of kids and their parents passing through, and it's a prime
opportunity to advocate to a demographic we don't have a lot of
contact with (and are quite receptive to our ideas).

If the Adelaide event is anything like the Sydney one, we should
absolutely be pushing our message there.

Lindsay

--
w: http://holmwood.id.au/~lindsay/
t: @auxesis