[Linux-aus] telstra ultimate usb modem not compatable with Linux????

stuartjed at theearthing.org stuartjed at theearthing.org
Wed Dec 8 13:04:58 EST 2010

Thanks, lsusb gives me the modem is what it has writen on the back,
Sierra Wireless, Inc.
I will try their sierra instructions soon, but would like to first look
at the related issue of Bigpond not providing technical support for
Linux users. I raised this question for ISPs in general at the
networking forum at linux.com .

mfillpot made it a little clearer for me in saying:
“The issue we have with companies supporting Linux is that windows
support techs are a dime a dozen because they are used to restricted
functionality and are not necessarily trained for in depth usage
support
or allowing the users to run different configurations. Due the the
large
amount of available applications Linux has to fill a specific need and
the available options for each application, this can be hard to support
because it would require further training for their support techs which
can be costly”

However, I don't see why we can't give the ISPs a simpler way of
defining the support boundaries such that they could help us with
difficulties in establishing the connection and maintaining the
connection without getting involved with helping us make our version of
Linux, and whatever applications we are using with it, work properly.

For example I was for a while attempting to get my Asus Eeepc connected
to Bigpond with a Maxon BP3-EXT modem using James Cameron's program,
which some have reported to work well for them, and it seemed to do
that
for me for the first session. Everything worked properly but then after
that the connection would get established but then the modem would hang
up. The log for the sessions was:

Plugin passwordfd.so loaded.
pppd options in effect:
debug           # (from command line)
nodetach                # (from command line)
dump            # (from command line)
plugin passwordfd.so            # (from command line)
noauth          # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
name peace2008          # (from command line)
passwordfd 0            # (from command line)
/dev/bp3                # (from command line)
lock            # (from /etc/ppp/options)
connect /usr/sbin/chat -v -e -t1 -f /etc/chatscripts/bp3 -T *99#
       # (from command line)
crtscts         # (from /etc/ppp/options)
modem           # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
asyncmap 0              # (from /etc/ppp/options)
lcp-echo-failure 4              # (from /etc/ppp/options)
lcp-echo-interval 30            # (from /etc/ppp/options)
hide-password           # (from /etc/ppp/options)
noipdefault             # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
defaultroute            # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
replacedefaultroute             # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
proxyarp                # (from /etc/ppp/options)
usepeerdns              # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
noccp           # (from /etc/ppp/peers/bp3)
noipx           # (from /etc/ppp/options)
AT+CGATT?
+CGATT: 1

OK
ATD*99#
CONNECT
Serial connection established.
using channel 2
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/bp3
<accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth chap MD5> <magic
0xd11da6> <pcomp> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <auth chap MD5> <magic
0xd11da6> <pcomp> <accomp>]
<accomp>]
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0xd0891cff]
rcvd [LCP DiscReq id=0x3 magic=0xd11da6]
rcvd [CHAP Challenge id=0x1 <020787031c16dd9520d5d6e5c29d427b>, name =
"UMTS_CHAP_SRVR"]
sent [CHAP Response id=0x1 <4ae1ecd6d5b43ddbee17f06e208aa7f3>, name =
"peace2008"]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0xd11da6 d0 89 1c ff]
rcvd [CHAP Success id=0x1 ""]
CHAP authentication succeeded
CHAP authentication succeeded
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1
0.0.0.0> <ms-dns3 0.0.0.0>]
rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <ms-dns1 10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14>
<ms-wins 10.11.12.13> <ms-wins 10.11.12.14>]
sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <compress VJ 0f 01> <addr 0.0.0.0> <ms-dns1
10.11.12.13> <ms-dns3 10.11.12.14>]
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.
bp3: the link was terminated by the modem hanging up.
bp3: diagnosis: no USIM present, or username or password wrong
There is probably a simple explanation for why this was happening that
they might have been able to help me with had they been willing to look
at it.
Jed Stuart