[Linux-aus] Open Source DMS- folder structures

Terry Dawson terry at linux.org.au
Thu Aug 19 11:33:41 EST 2010

On 18/08/2010 8:32 PM, Tim Bowden wrote:

> I'm also looking at a DMS of sorts (fairly lightweight, informal&  vague
> requirements defined so far; that's a work in progress), and I'm about
> to give Alfresco a trial; more so I can get to understand what DMS's
> have to offer rather than a formal evaluation (after all, you can't
> evaluate without knowing what you want ;).  I'm also interested in the
> integration that's possible with Alfresco and Zimbra.
>
> Does anyone have any strong views or experiences with those either in
> combination or individually as a "ready to roll out solution" for small
> business?

An anecdote for you.

I've managed a small Alfresco deployment (about 20 seats) for nearly
three years.

I really like it, especially some of the work-flow features.

Unfortunately most of my target user-base have been less enthused. Many
of them found it confusing and difficult to use, preferring to just dump
documents into a directory :^(  Fortunately Alfresco supports that mode
of operation to some extent. I found that the more computer-literate the
user the less inclined they were to like it. Our non-engineering users
all liked it and used it well.

regards
Terry