[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Thu Mar 26 17:32:21 EST 2009

LA resources will not be used in distributing links to child
pornography.

Full stop, end of discussion.

Feel free to run for a place on the board with an alternate position on
this.

I want the censorship debate. Let's talk about dentist appointments in
Queensland, dog grooming and school canteens. Let's discuss that even if
these sites were added by a filter maker why the government thinks it
can do any better. Let's discuss how perhaps we should go after the
people making and distributing child pornography instead of just listing
where to find it. Let's discuss if we want our government to have the
technology to silence dissent with no oversight. Let's discuss the
impact on internet connections in Australia. Let's discuss the existence
of filtering products that can be installed client side for those who
want them. Let's discuss the silence of the minister on the topic. Let's
discuss the adverse effects on Australian and foreign business if
they're accidently (or maliciously) added to the blacklist. Let's
discuss real ways to protect people from

None of this requires the posting of links to child pornography or even
links with descriptions of child pornography in them.

So please, let's have the censorship debate.
--
Stewart Smith