[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Russell Stuart russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au
Thu Mar 26 16:13:55 EST 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 15:33 +1100, Andy White wrote:
> It's generally considered bad form to put your ISP at risk
> unnecessarily.
>
> You say that LA should show some more spine on this issue - why?

Because it is simply not possibly to comply with the law as it is
written.  The list is a government secret.  You are not supposed to know
whether whether a site is blacklisted or not.  For example, did you know
the ACMA has taken to blacklist sites that have the Hansen photos?

So it is not possible to avoid putting your ISP at risk.  Or LA at risk.
So now you are apparently arguing LA should censor discussion of a set
of laws that put LA at risk of unknowing transgressing them.

Just to make it absolutely obvious: I would like to post the Hansen link
that ACMA has banned.  I can't.  You can't check it out for yourself and
avoid similar images.  Perhaps it already has been blogged about by
someone on planet when it was a hot topic.  Perhaps the banned link has
already been posted to planet.  Tell me, how are you going to find out
if planet.linux.org.au is _already_ at risk.

Frankly Andy, avoiding discussions like this seems downright dangerous.
Come to that, attempting to thought police any topic people are trying
to reason about and understand important issues is downright dangerous.