[Linux-aus] Things not to post to planet linux australia

Stewart Smith stewart at linux.org.au
Thu Mar 26 12:20:50 EST 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 09:48:09AM +1030, Glen Turner wrote:
> For example, LA's legal advice could say that since LA is a volunteer
> organisation and there is a risk that a Link Deletion Notice may not be
> handled within the required time then it is best that members not post
> possibly Prohibited Content.  (Mind you, that is not how Stewart
> paraphrased the advice they received.)

This is certainly a concern.

> So LA may well be acting reasonably. It is LA's characterisation of its
> legal advice saying that publication of the blacklist may be a crime which
> is concerning. As I wrote, this is not the common understanding.

There are two parts to my view on the matter:

1) possible criminal liability

        There is no way I am going to let there be a situation where
the federal police come knocking on my door asking about links to child
pornography hosted on a web site run by the organisation I am the
President of.

2) the links themselves

        Crime or not, links to child pornography have *NO* place on
Planet LA.

I'm sure we can find ways of arguing the case against mandatory
filtering without posting such links.
--
Stewart Smith