[Linux-aus] Microsoft ad campaign

David Lloyd lloy0076 at adam.com.au
Fri Jun 19 15:34:39 EST 2009

Hmmm...

Charles Gregory wrote:
> I would love to see the Linux/open source community collaborate on
> winning this competition and then (with the winnings) take out a full
> page ad in a major newspaper explaining why closed/proprietary
> standards are bad!
>
> - Charles
"We at Microsoft provided the community with Internet Explorer 8 for
free and provided no disincentive for the community to participate in
the competition excepting that they have a licensed platform on which to
install the browser. We congratulate the community's efforts for their
win and would also like to point out that our browser fully renders the
web standards the community talks of." - then going on about how their
enhancements further  make the web experience better.

I'm no spin doctor and I'm sure that Microsoft could come up with a
better response than that.

I'm with Jeff - don't fight them on their ground. Sure, participate if
you want to and are able to as individuals but shouldn't the open source
communities have something better to do other than participate in
competitions run by Microsoft?

DSL