[Linux-aus] Microsoft ad campaign

Chris Smart mail at christophersmart.com
Fri Jun 19 12:28:41 EST 2009

2009/6/19 Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au>:
> On Fri, 2009-06-19 at 10:49 +0930, Paul Coldrey wrote:
>> The fact that they have created web pages that are only viewed in IE 8
>> is very dubious seeming as the web is meant to be browser agnostic.
>
> You are making assumptions.  They may just be checking the browser ID
> string and display a different page if it ain't IE8.

Well that wouldn't be very smart of them, l would it :-)

Still, I read the text the same way as Paul, i.e.:

"If you try to find the $10,000 with your current browser, you'll get nowhere"

"It's [Internet Explorer 8] the only browser capable of cracking all the clues."

"It's in a cleverly concealed webpage that only Internet Explorer 8 can view."

Sounds to me like it's some piece of code that only IE8 can view, so
it won't work on other browsers.

-c