[Linux-aus] It's that time of year again

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Sat Jul 4 12:21:08 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-07-03 at 20:35 +1000, Peter Lieverdink wrote:
> ----- "Glen Turner" <gdt at gdt.id.au> wrote:
> >
> > Yeah. But it is *such* a good name :-(
>
> It is, but having it available for 6 months out of the year just makes
>  it unusable. You can't promote it, because by the time the conf opens,
>  the domain is gone again.

This is why for LCA2010 we've made the decision not to rely on the
linux.conf.au domain name.  Yes, the conference is still called
linux.conf.au, but the domain names used to get to it are currently:

  lca2010.org.nz
  conf.linux.org.nz

And the permanent URL is:

  lca2010.linux.org.nz

If you stick linux.conf.au into Google, the LCA2010 website is the 3rd
hit.  I think that is good enough (and yes, people do come to the
website with that and other wierd and wonderful search phrases).

A number of people have tried over the years to improve the domain name
situation, with little success.  Linux Australia now has an agreed
procedure on the delegation, and duration of the domain delegation.
That is good enough for me.  I'd much rather exert my efforts on
organising the best ever linux.conf.au than continue chasing after the
domain name.

Can we please let this discussion rest now?

Cheers!
Andrew
Director - LCA2010

PS, you're all thinking hard about your miniconf and/or paper
submissions aren't you?  Both CFM and CFP are still open!

--
Andrew Ruthven
Wellington, New Zealand