[Linux-aus] Treasurer-ial Succession (was: Why Didn't You Vote?)

David Symons david.symons at liberatedcomputing.net
Fri Jan 30 21:06:14 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:11 PM, Stewart Smith <stewart at linux.org.au> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 10:11:36AM +1030, Paul Shirren wrote:
>> The day LA can't find a treasurer to nominate will be the real problem.
>
> This greatly concerns me.
>
> We need to move to a model where the role of the treasurer is more
> oversight of outsourced accounting and bookkeeping.

Alternatively...

I know of one organisation similarly concerned about this situation (a
school P&C).  They created the position of Assistant Treasurer.  The
pair work together at the role and there is an expectation (only - ie.
no obligation) that at least one of them will nominate for Treasurer
at the next election.

- A "guaranteed" nominee at each election (well not totally but the
situation is much improved).
- Less pressure on the incumbent Treasurer to renominate.
- Continuity - the prospective successor knows the ropes.
- More comfort for the incumbent Treasurer that their successor knows the ropes.
- Less concern for the President. ;-)

For your consideration.

Cheers, Dave.

--