[Linux-aus] bluehackers.org

Chris Fordham chris at xhost.com.au
Thu Jan 15 20:21:19 EST 2009

On Mon, 15 Dec 2008 00:28:44 +1100, Arjen Lentz <arjen at lentz.com.au> wrote:

> It started with Arjen doing the last lightning talk at OSDC 2008… a
> quick show of hands on who else had dealt with (or was dealing with)
> depression. Everybody had a look around, and thus knew that they
> weren’t alone. Afterwards, there was more positive feedback which
> continued over email in the days that followed. Someone suggested
> starting a group, and the same day bluehackers.org was born.
>
> The objective of this initiative is to make visible that there are
> many fellow geeks among us who are intimately familiar with
> depression, anxiety, or bipolar disorder. It helps to know you’re not
> alone. And it’s not because we’re geeks, but because we’re human. The
> Australian BeyondBlue site is of course an excellent resource, but,
> because geeks have a specific work environment, there are also
> particular challenges in dealing with these issues, and that’s where
> we feel our group can help with additional insights, tips, and posts
> from others with experience.
>
> Using the logo, we can also make the topic visible at meetings and
> conferences around the world, ensuring that indeed no geek need feel
> alone in this, or feel unsupported. They can simply look around and
> see. Anybody will be able to show their support and understanding, in
> a kind and non-intrusive manner.

When I finally got round' to reading this email, it was a pleasant
enlightenment as I suffer from clinical depression personally.

I am looking forward to checking it all out and possibly getting involved
in some way.
The only qualm I have is that we really need to find another term for
'geek' (and not just for bluehackers).
Its debateable in definition and a term which iirc is from USA.
On the visual side, im certainly not one of those stereotypes you see in
American movies/shows and from i've witnessed personally most of these
geeks dont actually know much about computing at all :)

Let us know if there is some other term around or perhaps just eradicate
the stereotype entirely :)