[Linux-aus] Follow up: Vic bushfire relief - interest for offers of IT assistance?

Hamish Taylor hamish at devworldit.com.au
Wed Feb 25 20:36:24 EST 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM, Hamish Taylor
<hamish at devworldit.com.au> wrote:
> Secondly, for those who don't know, I am currently heavily involved in
> the Victorian bushfire relief effort
*snip*

Thanks to all those who replied with offers of assistance, services
and gear. I do not know what is going to happen from here. I am not
able to verify if DHS or any other agency is able to use our offers of
assistance. Due to the situation that I was in at the time (I am no
longer at DHS, and am now at DSE in another role), I was not able to
get the contact details for the coordinator person, who I was speaking
to about the offers of assistance and ask for a status update. He has
my contact details but I have not received a call or email as yet.

Mitch has suggested, that for those who are interested, we might form
an "Emergency Response IT Group" of some sort. l welcome suggestions
from you all about how this might be established and function, but I
suggest that we might be able to provide, at short-notice certain gear
and services to establish connection to the Internet and basic web
browsing functionality. If there's interest in this, we might form a
Google Group and begin to explore this concept. Does anything like
this exist in Australia at moment? I know of "Telecoms Sans
Frontieres" and all the other "...Sans Frontieres", however is there
any kind "Computers Sans Frontieres"?
--
Hamish Taylor
hamish at devworldit.com.au
+61 435 082 070
Laurence J. Peter  - "If two wrongs don't make a right, try three."