[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

David Newall david at davidnewall.com
Thu Feb 19 22:04:33 EST 2009

Glen Turner wrote:

> if you don't want a headcount-based license
> fee then you need to somehow count machines.  And since the use
> of not-Microsoft software varies considerably by profession the
> count of machines would need to be more like a census than a
> survey.
>
> At the prices a large business pays for Microsoft licenses the cost
> of the census would run at about 20% of the total costs.

I can't help feel that this is an easy problem to solve, at least w.r.t.
Microsoft vs Linux.  This choice is made when a machine is purchased,
and only a simple database would be needed to record machine details and
installed software.  The data would need to be updated when the machine
is decommissioned or re-purposed.  For minimal effort, really just one
small form in the goods-receipt process, you get a verifiable record of
what is used and where.  An extra benefit is that you also know which
version of what is in use, and that must help when upgrades are being
considered.

It would be surprising if this wasn't already a component of an
organisations fixed-asset register (the sort of organisation for which
head-count licensing might be attractive.)

> IHMO all vendor-PR signage in inappropriate unless you are a vendor.
> I particularly wince when I see Microsoft and Cisco posters in
> state government offices (as I recently did). These imply an unhealthy
> lack of objective evaluation.

Or indicate the conclusion from an objective evaluation. "Objective",
after all, is quite personal. ;-)