[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Steve Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Thu Feb 19 11:12:34 EST 2009

Paul Wayper wrote:
> <snip>
>
> And, as the Victorian government has proved, all of that doesn't even matter
> when Microsoft can convince the _government_ to subsidise the cost of Windows!
> ~ I suspect the old 'take the decision makers out to a lavish lunch' process
> still works well.

I don't believe it was a lavish lunch, *any* government, even state
based, has Code of Conduct stuff that (in some cases) goes as far as not
adding vendors to social or professional networking site profiles that
you list your employer on.

What probably happened was someone from the Vic Guvmint got a call from
a Senior sales rep in Microsoft saying "Hey, Timbo! Can't help but
noticing you've got a hard limit on your tender there which stops you
from purchasing from doing all this cool stuff, like internet filters,
and centralized file servers. So tell you what I'm going to do. If we
win, I'm going to put a grant request into our internal "microsoft:
pwning your education system since 1987" grants scheme, and see if we
can't squeeze some money out of Ol' Bill's deep pockets to help you poor
guys along. I mean, it's not *your* fault they don't give you enough
funding to give these kids what they need for an education". Insert
relevant reseller or implementer reference as appropriate.

What public servant wouldn't want to have it mentioned on his annual
review about getting $200k software out of MS for a $70k tender?

--
--==--
Steve Walsh