[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Tim Ansell mithro at mithis.com
Thu Feb 19 00:58:25 EST 2009

> I see a chicken and egg situation. In office situations, I've come
> across "the grads know Matlab, so we have to use Matlab. Buy Matlab
> licences", same for receptionists and Microsoft Word, etc. On the other

At my previous Uni it was a case of "we can't afford to purchase you a
license of Matlab, try and use Octave instead" (which later became, why
are we even paying for Matlab for most people when Octave is better for
their needs).

Free as in beer is often what you need to break the chicken and egg
problem, specially with budgets getting tighter now.

Tim