[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Sun Feb 15 02:00:13 EST 2009

2009/2/12 Neal Schulz <neal.schulz at internode.on.net>:
> Regarding Free versus free; Why didn't Stallman just call it Freedom
> Software? When he talks about Free Software he talks about freedom. It
> would eliminate the confusion with freeware.

The confusion wasn't nearly as prevalent in the early 1980s, when the
phrase 'free software' was coined.

> Now if everyone will just jump on my bandwagon we can change the name
> forever?

You are, of course, free to call it whatever you like. Common
alternate names include:

* freedom software
* software libre
* liberty software
* socially responsible software
* sustainable software
* sincere software
* software in the public interest
* transparent software
* democratic software
* accountable software
* auditable software
* software commons
* open source software (though technically not exactly the same thing)

--
Bring choice back to your computer.
http://www.linux.org.au/linux