[Linux-aus] Young Aussies say pirated software is OK

Tom Sparks tom_a_sparks at yahoo.com.au
Wed Feb 11 20:20:47 EST 2009

----- Original Message ----
From: James Turnbull <james at lovedthanlost.net>
Sent: Wednesday, 11 February, 2009 2:35:25 PM

>James Purser wrote:
>> Actually this isn't correct. Apple and MS may have the majority of the
>> desktop locked up between them, however by no means are they the only
>> two Operating System companies.
>>
>> Just off the top of my head:
>>
>> Sun
"Sun is a proponent of open systems in general and Unix in particular, and a major contributor to open source software."
>> Apple
"Mac OS X is a Unix-based operating system"
>> MS
Proprietary software
>> Qnix
custom derived from Unix
>> Cisco
Cisco IOS Proprietary software
>> Palm
PalmSource - Linux kernel
ACCESS Linux Platform
Palm webOS  - linux
>> Motorola
Motorola introduced the world's first handset to combine a Linux operating system and Java technology with "full PDA functionality".
>> Canonical
ubuntu - linux
>> RedHat
linux
>> Novell
Novell acquired SuSE, a developer of a leading Linux distribution, which led to a major shift of power in Linux distributions.

>And don't forget Oracle, Nokia, Juniper, and the thousand other
>companies that develop custom OS'es either stand-alone or built on
>other OS platforms.
Oracle Corporation announces Unbreakable Linux
Nokia custom Proprietary software
Juniper: The JUNOS kernel is based on the open source FreeBSD operating system
unless the hardware is truely custom most hardware can run linux

>> So purchase from a supplier that allows for either NO OS or choice of
>> OS.
>As the young folk say "word".
what? I dont get it? i must be getting too old :)

tom_a_sparks

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.htm

      Make Yahoo!7 your homepage and win a trip to the Quiksilver Pro. Find out more